Thursday, May 10, 2007

CHRISTMAS TO ME.........

I know this is too early to post , but i just want to share my childhood expeciences especially comes Christmas.

As a child growing up in an Oil Palm Estate with my siblings and my Mum things are a lot simpler then. We have practically nothing accept for the common utilities such as a TV which at that time was only TV1, radio and a fridge.
Then comes Christmas...
Gosh Christmas to my family was something that we would look forward to..
even then we knew its going to be just a simple celebration but it meant so much. I remember my mum use to give us presents which at that time just like pencil case, pen, water colour and the most expensive thing that you could have is a school bag.
Oh ya , i think the most memorable Christmas gift i had was a motorcycle toy with a battery my mum bought for me. At that time material things are so far out of reach, not that we knew all this things. hehehe.

Comes Christmas eve, My mum will ask some guys from my village with cameras to come over to take our pictures and we have to dress up with our new dress in front of the Christmas tree.

I remember my sister was in the Red Cross and she have to use her new Red Cross dress for the Christmas photo. Punyalah kuno masa tu kan. He he.

After the photo session , my mum would ask the photographer to eat and drink some cheap boose and went home drank. Biasa diorang ni, tak biasa minum so ada juga yang muntah bila balik rumah. Punyalah penat masa tu bersihkan muntah orang.
We use to go to our immediate family home also during the holidays. Its either we went to Lahad Datu to my Aunt house or to my Grandmothers plance in Kunak / Mostyn. Funny because the same thing happen, we have to dress up and pause in front of the Christmas tree again. I remember my Aunty use to have this Christmas tree ( buat sendiri) using creep paper, wires and cotton.
DIY kan. Those days mana ada yang ready made.

So you see, i grew a custom of having a Christmas tree and pictures during Christmas time. This pic is taken at my house in Bintulu before i went off for my Christmas holiday 2006. I guess the concept of pausing in front of the Christmas tree is still the same but what differs is the amount of time and money setting up all the decorations and lighting. I use to tell my freinds that if Christmas comes everyday, i would be broke everymonth.
So now is May, i got 7 more month to prepare for Christmas this year.

No comments: