Tuesday, August 28, 2007

HOW MUCH DO WE NEED


Have we ever ask ourselves “ How much do we really need” and morally we would say just enough but is enough … enough.?

I was in a dilemma lately of wanting to buy a new knapsack and a toil bag for my Europe holiday. Yap…. The bag I bought just a year ago from Phuket snap and to me it is still usable but then I thought would it be sheik if I could have a brand new backpack on my trip to London.

Then I went for my bag hunting in all the departmental store in Bintulu, only to find that all their bags are not only hideous but also very expensive. Then finally I went to this new departmental store and find a generally nice looking and cheap travelling bag, but then I have this voice keep on pestering my head asking “ Do you really need this”.

The finally its pay day and I drag a friend to the store and ask for his opinion on the bag and without dismay he told me that its not worthy to buy because not only that the bag is still considered expensive but its also not that practical because the compartment space is so limited.

So…. I after thinking about it , then I realize the voice on my head is practically telling me something but I didn’t want to listen. I was too naïve and focus of my needs and craving that the question of “ Do I really need it” doesn’t really occurs inside my mind.

Sometimes we are too consumed with having a lot of things, without us thinking how much do we really need it. Instead we could save more and make do with the things that we have. How in the third world people are starving of hunger and here we are shopping lavishly without even thinking one minute.

Ok, back to my story.. I finally didn’t buy the travelling bag but instead went back home and stitch my one year old knapsack bag and its as good as brand new. It felt good but most of all it made the voice inside my head stopped and I pride myself for thinking twice before buying things. So from now onwards whenever we want to buy things , think again and ask ourselves “ Do we really need it and How much do we really need it “. Listen to the voice in your head and see how much pride you have for what you stand for, and look on the bright side at least you still got the money you’re about to spent.

No comments: